Coaches Code of Conduct
The Mission of the Vernon Soccer Club is to provide recreational, instructional and competitive soccer opportunities for all Vernon youth. We strive to foster good sportsmanship, skill development, community commitment and a love of the game. The Club needs the cooperation and commitment of everyone involved with the Club in support of our mission.
The VSC Board of Directors has established Codes of Conduct for all Coaches, Players and Parents/Guardians, which must be reviewed and accepted prior to participation in any VSC related activities. These rules will help ensure all members of the Club contribute to providing the best possible environment for our players.
The coach's role is one of teaching soccer skills and sportsmanship to the players. All coaches within the Vernon program will promote good sportsmanship among players, foster team spirit, and help participants have fun while teaching the techniques and tactics of constructive soccer. Each Coach will ensure that his/her conduct sets a good example for team members and spectators. To meet these responsibilities, I agree to the following:
1. I will know the official Laws of the Game of soccer and abide by them. I will instruct players and parents in the rules and motivate each player to compete according to the rules at all times.
2. I will remember that the purpose of game is for children to participate and have fun.
3. I will abide by the rules of the Vernon Soccer Club and the policies of the CJSA.
4. I will ensure that my assistant coach(es) conduct themselves in accordance with this Code, the policies of the league and the Vernon Soccer Club Rules at all games, practices and other team events.
5. I will demonstrate respect for the game officials at all times and refrain from questioning their decisions or challenging their authority (private conversations with the official pregame, at halftime, or postgame are appropriate).
6. I will be a positive role model for my team and encourage sportsmanship by demonstrating respect, courtesy, and positive support for all players, coaches, officials and spectators at every game, practice or other event.
7. I will maintain control of my emotions and avoid actions, language, and/or gestures that may be interpreted as hostile and/or humiliating.
8. I will require that my team treat all players, coaches, officials and spectators with respect.
9. I will teach each player, especially through personal example, to be humble and generous in victory and courteous in defeat.
10. I will praise my team for doing their best and will emphasize skill development and practices over winning games.
11. I will ensure that fans of my team exhibit sportsmanship and maturity at all times and assist game officials in maintaining control of spectators during games.
12. I will take appropriate steps to minimize scoring in runaway games in accordance with CJSA requirements and the VSC coaches guidebook.
13. I will demand a sports environment that is free from drugs and alcohol and I will refrain from their use at all VSC events.
14. I understand that I have an ongoing responsibility while serving as a coach, assistant coach or volunteer to disclose to VSC any conviction of a crime of violence or a crime against a person, or a felony involving the welfare of a child.
I agree to the above code of conduct, certify that I have read all Vernon Soccer Club Rules and will abide by them, and acknowledge that coaching in our program, although voluntary, is a privilege and not a right.
I agree that if I fail to abide by the aforementioned rules and guidelines, disciplinary action could include, but is not limited to, the following:
■ Verbal warning by VSC official
■ Written warning
■ Game suspension with written documentation of incident kept on file by organizations involved
■ Game forfeit
■ Season suspension
■ Removal of coach from all club activities for up to an entire season.